NAFION® is a DuPont Trademark for its perfluorosulfonic acid polymer.
The polymer has cation exchange properties and has excellent chemical stability similar to TEFLON®.
Unlike TEFLON® however, it adsorbs and swells in water due to the sulfonic acid terminated
side chains on the fluoropolymer backbone:
It has a wide variety of applications: from battery separators, to strong acid catalysis, to artificial muscles.
NAFION® is available from Ion Power in pellet, liquid dispersion, and membrane form.
Since 1999, Ion Power has been DuPont's officially appointed world-wide NAFION® distributor.
- Membranes - From thin, high performance fuel cell membranes to tough reinforced membranes for punishing industrial conditions.
- Dispersions - NAFION® polymer is dispersed in solvents, used for coatings.
- Pellets - NAFION® PFSA Superacid Resin is a bead-form, strongly acidic resin developed for heterogeneous acid catalysis in a wide variety of organic reactions.
Ion Power Manufactured Products
- LIQUion® - These alcohol based solutions contain dissolved NAFION® resins and are one of the most finely dispersed solutions available.
This allows for superior mixing of the NAFION® polymer with your application.
- Catalyst Coated Membranes - Ion Power manufactures NAFION® membranes with catalyst coatings for fuel cells or water electrolysis.
We will work with small research lots or large, cost effective commercial volumes.
- Ion Power's newest products include: LITHion® dispersions, VANADion® membranes, and NAFION® powder.
- Custom NAFION® Products - Our expert, PhD-level technical staff are here to help with your application.
- Custom catalyst coatings.
- Versatile pilot scale manufacturing equipment.
- Non-disclosure agreements are routine, your intellectual property will be protected.
SGL Carbon SIGRACET® Products
Gas Diffusion Layers (GDLs) are "graphitized" carbon fiber based non-wovens or papers.
GDLs are specifically designed to transport reactant gases into, and excess liquid product water out of, the electro-catalyst layers of Proton Exchange Membrane fuel cells.
Ion Power has chosen SGL SIGRACET® graphite GDLs because they are cost-effective and deliver excellent results.